Stacie's Blog (Which Lacks a Clever Tagline)

I realize this is more of a Web journal than a blog; I'm not yet at the point of tackling serious issues or going on at length about my cross stitch projects. Currently, this is more of a collection of observations about life, for no other reason than I love to write.

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

There was going to be a long and thoughtful post here, about my weekend and what I've been thinking about lately. Unfortunately, all thought-like activity has been subsumed by the sullen but insistent broadcasts thundering up from my primal subconscious:

Getting sick. Yep...definitely getting sick.

Had a day off from everything yesterday. Felt fine yesterday.

Getting sick today.

I'm not surprised at all. It's gone from 70 to 2 degrees in the past week or so, I've been wandering around outside not only without a hat and scarf but without even drying my hair a few times, and our apartment is one of the more humid levels of hell lately. Our steam radiators have finally gone completely mad. They will no longer obey commands to turn off, unless it is their whim to do so; I have burned my hand on one whose valve was entirely closed. The one in Adam's room has now begun continuously venting steam; the only way to stop it is to turn it all the way off (if it's on) or on (if it's off). Either one stops it from hissing, until it starts again, at which point the only solution is to turn the valve completely the opposite way. Last night, both ends of each radiator started leaking boiling water; the only way to stop the bucketfuls of water from coming out was to turn every radiator on full blast. To avoid dying of heatstroke, we also had to open the windows. The wind chill was well below zero last night, so we spent the night being alternately blasted by scalding and frigid air, which unfortunately did not mix to create a comfortable temperature. Our apartment is also uncomfortably damp; the carpets around the radiators are soaked, and we have hanging up around the apartment a profusion of towels meant to soak up the water until we realized we had to resort to buckets instead. But we only realized that once the towels we'd put down were also soaked (and in many cases, now stained with rust and copper deposits). I'm fairly certain I'm allergic to mold, and nearly positive we have a lot of it in the walls right now.

God, please let it be August soon. With this and the return of the Upstairs Hellbeasts' party season this weekend, I'm seriously considering breaking our lease.

So, yeah. Not surprised I'm getting sick. Just wish it were a time when I could actually afford to be so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

Randomly surfing and saw your site. I moved from flat old Eastern Michigan to Pittsburgh back in the early 90's and about died in my stick shift on icy hills. I now dream of the warmth of Pittsburgh now that I'm back in Michigan :)

January 18, 2005 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Hi Barry, thanks for being the first commenter! Yeah...speaking as someone who spent college on one of the Great Lakes, I can imagine what conditions are like in Michigan these days. I guess it's a tossup between whether it's better to have flatter terrain or an absence of lake-effect snow.

January 19, 2005 at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home